August 26, 2011

Friendship Bread by Darien Gee

It all begins with a loaf of Amish Friendship Bread with an anonymous note left on Julia Evarts' doorstep.  A grieving and depressed mother, Julia takes one look at the bag of starter and wants nothing to do with it.  That is until Julia and her daughter are finishing off the crumbs from the loaf of deliciously sweet bread and want more.  After the requisite ten days to make Amish Friendship Bread she realizes she's left with three extra bags of starter and doesn't know what to do with them.  And so starts this "edible chain letter" where the small community of Avalon are inundated with a gooey substance that will explode if left ignored. 

Friendship Bread is a touching, albeit somewhat predictable, story of love, forgiveness and of course friendship.  It left me with a crazy need to make friendship bread and I was very pleased to find the recipe for the starter, the basic recipe for the bread, and a dozen variations at the end.  I can't wait to get started!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds great! I just made my first loaf of friendship bread, and I was feeling reluctant to pass on the responsibility of the starter bag too! But after the sweet smell filled my house and I tasted the bread, I knew I'd keep it going! And by the end of this week, one bag is coming to you MJ! :) Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I can't wait to make one of the variations.

    ReplyDelete